Workshop on Free Software technologies for media streaming.
The Gnowledge Lab at Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education of TIFR and Comet Media Foundation are co-hosting a workshop on free software technologies for media streaming .
Sep 28, 2008 12:50 AM
Sep 30, 2008 12:50 AM
|Contact Name||Poulami Sarkar|
|Contact Phone||022-2382 6674|
|Add event to calendar||
Detailed Timetable and Curriculum
Day 1 : 5/6 hours
Objective: Setting up a first easy streaming using G.I.S.S. infrastructure and tools
Theoretical presentation :
- History of free technologies for streaming
- Presentation of most popular free codecs : vp3, ogg/theora, ogg/vorbis, dirac, ...
Introduction to G.I.S.S. : [http://www.giss.tv]
- Channel creation
- Customization of a channel, creation of the web interface
- Audio streaming : MusE, Pure Data
- Video streaming : Theora Streaming Studio, Pure Data
Day 2 : 5/6 hours
Objective : Explaining the streaming tools focusing on the strength of each solution, mounting a radio or video virtual studio.
Advanced Streaming Techniques:
- Configuration of audio and video devices in Linux
- Panorama of audio and video streaming programs in Linux : (Theora Streaming Studio/ffmpeg2theora, Pure Data, GStreamer, IDJC )
- Comparative discussion about tools, choice of the best tool for each configuration
- Realisation of a video/audio virtual desk in Pure Data
- Overlaying of logos and subtitles
Day 3 : 5/6 hours
Objective : Being able to set up one's own audio and video server, creating on-line free media.
Publication of media contents :
- Installation of a media database
- Personalization of the database
- Creating channels and themes
Installation of your own streaming server :
- Introduction to the configuration of icecast
- Setting up one's icecast server for audio and video
- How to link it to the G.I.S.S. infrastructure